丁丁の家

Monday, March 19, 2007
先週くぃさんにメイルをもらいました。I asked him in the previous email if I can go to Japan this summer and stay with a family, babysitting and maybe doing some light housework as to keep the cost of travel down. He explained to me in a very long email that Japan has a very different culture than I expected. He says that people don’t often go to each other’s house to visit and privacy is highly regarded. Therefore, unless there are some kind of program which associate international students and the family together, it is very unlikely that the local families will comfortable of stranger staying with them. Also, he says in order to work, we need government permission, and normally the contract will need to be at least one year long. I felt pretty frustrated when I first learned about all these. Now I am very much daunted by the fact that living in Japan is so expensive and fusing into the culture is harder than I expected. I hope I won’t give up learning Japanese in the end.
posted by Ding at 10:54 AM |

7 Comments:

At March 19, 2007 at 3:13 PM, Blogger Sam said........
I had a friend in high school who spent six weeks living with a family in Okinawa, and he kind of hated it. But maybe that's because it was Okinawa.
 


At March 19, 2007 at 3:42 PM, Blogger Olga said........
面白いです。Interesting and scary at the same time. It's true that cultures outside of US differ a lot. If you wanted to do the same thing in Belarus, it would also be impossible.

But don't be discouraged to learn. You can always travel and stay at the hotel... Once you make friends, it will be easier to find a place to stay over. I'm sure it's not as conservative as we think.

I'm also upset that I can't find a summer program to Japan. I guess well developed countries don't need outside help.
 


At March 24, 2007 at 5:48 PM, Blogger Kimball said........
Ding-san,

Don't worry-masu, ne? Or worry if you want to. I'm not a very good motivator. But I tried to go to Japan 3 years ago and it didn't work out. Then, I tried again this year, and things seemed to not work out in a more disappointing way. But by some cunning twist of Providence, it looks like I'll get to go in 2008. So, you never know.

Have you heard of the JET program?
 


At March 28, 2007 at 9:40 AM, Blogger Unknown said........
Hello, Ding-san.

There should be lots of home-stay programs or
exchange programs during the summer in Japan.
I think your sensei must have information about those programs.
It is a great chance to stay in Japan to improve your Japanese.
Yume ga kanau to iidesune.

TA Inada
 


At March 28, 2007 at 10:22 AM, Blogger Satomi said........
hi! right... it's difficult to find short job in Japan. I know there are some programs which needs English speakers to attend program for Japanese students here in US. If you look for the opportunity to have conversation with Japanese, this is good to take into consideration.
I heard Tokyo University of Social Welfare has one but I forgot others... tru to find out if you are interested in it.
 


At March 28, 2007 at 10:57 AM, Blogger Unknown said........
This is the university's website.
I remember they were looking for ppl through craig's list last year who can stay with the Japanese students during the summer in Boston and NYC.

http://www.tokyo-fukushi.ac.jp/english/kaigaikensyu_en.htm

The website doesn't say much about details, but i hope it will help you in some way.
 


At April 1, 2007 at 11:32 AM, Blogger David Ant. Leon said........
中学校の時に、日本語のじゅぎょうと私は日本に行ったり、ふくやま町にホームステイのかぞくの家にとまったりしました。かんたんですよね。あなたはホームステイのかぞくと日本に住んでいたいですから日本の大学に電話をかけてください。